Farm & Agribusiness
Since 1727, Goochland has developed and built a tradition of agriculture that has served as a backbone to its citizens and economy. While the County's image & economy shifts and evolves, the commitment to agriculture has remained unwavering. Because of this history, Goochland is a wonderful place to start and operate a farm. Goochland County Economic Development serves all businesses, including farms and agribusiness, which is the motivation for this page.
Agriculture creates hundreds of jobs for the community and contributed $7.1 million to Goochland County's Gross Domestic Product in 2022. Goochland County's diverse agriculture industry includes:
- Innovative and robust agriculture operations utilizing automation and technology for production
- Agritourism that attracts people to Goochland County and imports dollars in the County
- Mom & Pop farms and agribusinesses
Starting A Farm Resources
If you are exploring the thought of starting a new farm in Goochland County, it is important to have all the information readily available. As you go through the process, make sure you are asking yourself the following questions.
- Have I visited the Goochland Agricultural Center and spoke with the Monacan Soil & Water Conservation District and the Goochland County Extension office?
- Do I have a business plan?
- What permits or licenses will I need?
- What government agencies need to be involved with this? Are there Health Department requirements?
- Do I need financial assistance?
- Have I checked out the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' page for New and Beginning Farmers?
Below are links to a variety of resources that you will need as you begin your new journey as a farmer!
- Goochland County Planning & Zoning
- Make sure you are aware of Goochland County's Agriculture Land Use Exemption program. This program can help farmers save money on their property taxes.
- Licensing, Permits, & Regulations
- Financial & Educational Resources
- Starting a Business in Goochland County